Sunday 15 April 2007

Where is all this crap coming from?

Each morning, I wheel my bike out the gate and find that our laneway is once again awash with litter. It is not the sort of stuff that has been blown out of a rubbish bin that has been carelessly closed - it is the sort of stuff that has been deliberately discarded by someone walking by.

Except that I never seen anyone walking down the laneway. It hasn't been windy enough to blow it in, so where is it coming from?

I do a walk up and down the lane every few days and pick up what I can, but the next day, a fresh load has been deposited. I can't do a pickup whilst I have my bike shoes on, as they are too uncomfortable for walking around in. I also don't like to do it without wearing gloves, as some little shits have the nasty habit of breaking beer bottles on the verge, and I don't like the thought of a glass cut.

My brother has the right idea, building a great big tower in the middle of his house. We should all have them. I'd equip mine with an infrared spotlight and a paintball gun and have lots of fun when the drunks stagger home from the pub, dropping chip packets and beer bottles as they go.

No comments: