Sunday 10 April 2011

It's all about the legs

I can't think of the last time I spent a weekend with so much leg pain. My legs are usually pretty stiff and knackered by Friday, but they're rarely sore enough to actually be painful.

I think I know what the problem is.

I read an excellent article last week regarding positioning on the bike. It was pretty clear to me that I've been sitting too far forward on my saddle - I start with my sit bones in the right place, but I quickly creep forward until I'm "riding on the rivet".

So I spent the week trying very hard to stay in the correct position on the saddle. I think that threw my legs for a loop - they've spent 6 years getting used to a very specific position on the bike, and then I went and stuffed them up. The result is muscles and tendons and ligaments being worked in ways they haven't worked before, which tends to produce a bit of pain.

Which means no riding this weekend - I've been happy just to put the feet up and let the legs relax and recover. Next week will be more of the same - working on my position on the bike, and trying to remember to use my core more often.

Why does it have to get so bloody technical all of a sudden?

No comments: