Sunday 31 December 2006

Take away coffee

On the way to Bondi this morning, I was stopped at a set of lights when I spied a pedestrian getting ready to cross. She was wearing exercise clothing, and was carrying a coffee in a cardboard takeaway container.

That is one bloody American import I reckon we can do without. I don't mind drinking coffee in the car when I'm on a long drive and I need a bit of stimulant, but I don't get this idea of walking around with a steaming cup in your hand. When I drink coffee, I like to sit down somewhere nice and drink it. I like the pleasure of whiling away 15 minutes or so in a cafe with a paper or some friends and just relaxing. There's nothing relaxing about running around with a takeaway - it just exudes "I'm a very busy person", which to me says "wanker". No one is too busy to stop once a day and just sit down and enjoy life.

I would support the greenies if they started a campaign to ban those stupid cardboard cups.

Then again, maybe not. Somehow I think that I don't want to sit in a cafe with the types of people that order takeaway. Maybe it is better to get rid of them and to send them out onto the street where they belong.

No comments: