Thursday 28 December 2006

Country salad

Country folk might know how to grow food, but they certainly can't cook it. I find eating in country cafes to be the worst culinary experience possible, and I have eaten in the back streets of Hong Kong and spent many years at boarding school. Country cafes are the epitamy of that old "Odd Angry Shot" saying about Army cooks - they are fitters and turners. They fit food into pots and turn it into shit.

Thankfully, things are changing slowly. Junee now has a place that serves edible food on plates. They also have a burger shop that sells good burgers, but they are sold in paper bags rather than plonked onto plates.

I was so impressed, I had to take a photo. The salad was not going to win any Golden Plate awards, but given that it consisted of carrot, cucumber, tomato, lettuce and beetroot, it was quite amazingly excellent. It actually had a good dressing that didn't taste like oven cleaner. Call me stunned, but it was good.

No comments: