Saturday 2 December 2006

I finally make an edible breakfast

I eat breakfast out a lot. There are several reasons for this, but the main one is that I am not that fond of cereal. The ones that are good for you taste like cardboard and I just don't like the ones that are bad for you - way too sweet. I can't handle sweet stuff early in the morning. Croissants and bagels and all that are not for me - I need something savoury.

The second reason is that I can't make coffee, or at least good coffee. I have tried my hand at several expensive coffee machines owned by other people and it is an art that I haven't mastered. I can make something drinkable, but not something good.

The third reason is that I am really quite crap at cooking breakfast. So are a lot of cafes. But that's beside the point. Someone that cooks 50 breakfasts per day is likely to be much better at it than me, so I bow to the experts.

The last few weeks though have seen me doing a bit of work from home. The option is there to go out for a feed, but some morning I don't have time and I have to feed myself.

Bugger.

I have been in omelette mode lately, so that is what I have been making. Today, I finally managed to make one that would be passable at my favourite local cafe. Not great, but passable. It has only taken about 50 dozen eggs to get to this point.

There were three things that I did differently today - I added a lot more salt than normal, I ground a huge amount of pepper into it, and I whacked in a stack of ....aaargh, can't remember the name of the cheese. It's French, and it smells a bit, and it is great with eggs. It will come to me eventually. Anyway, I put in about 3 times my local dose. I need to remember the name as we are almost out and I will have to go shopping for more tomorrow.

I thought I was going to have a cheesy disaster, but it was fantastic. I was pretty impressed with myself. I have also been shopping around for bread to put it on, and have settled on a very good sourdough loaf that has only one drawback - it is $5.50 a loaf, and I have to drive miles to buy it.

But it is worth it.

In case you are wondering, the eggs come from cage chickens. To hell with free range - the cage chooks lay eggs that are just as good and are half the price. My only exception to that is when I get eggs from Ann, as her chooks run around all over the farm and get fed heaps of expensive grain, and the yolks are so yellow, they look like blood oranges.

So I can now feed myself at home. I am so happy, I think I will have to eat out tomorrow to celebrate.

No comments: