Saturday 10 February 2007

Woo hoo, I am cooking

Big week on the bike this week - 142km. I am feeling it now though - after a day off the bike, my legs and arse are aching, and I am knackered. I fell asleep on the couch this afternoon I was so exhausted. I did that over 4 days. I was fine up until the ride home on the last day - I was about 2km from home and my legs just died underneath me. Prior to that, I had been cooking with gas. I don't know what happened, but this week, I was turbo charged. I was just humping up them hills without a second thought. Normally, I am quick on the flat but pathetic on the hills, but this week, the hills presented few problems. It's like I suddenly went up a gear in fitness. A fitness spurt I guess, like a growth spurt.

We'll see how I go this week. My aim is simply to maintain 140km this week, with a view to going to 160km in March, and then seeing if I can get up to 200km by June. I should be able to do 160 without too many problems - it just means doing 40km a day, 4 days a week. I normally have one laundry day (where I get a lift in with clean shirts), so 4 days in the saddle is the usual thing. I was doing 38km on Thursday and Friday, so all I need to do is find a slight detour that gets the daily total to 40, and I am there.

Going the next step to 200 will be tricky. I have the weekends off to recover, although that usually means going to the beach and swimming instead. I could do a ride on one day over the weekend, but that means less time for recovery.

Tricky. I don't feel like taking the daily total out to 50km - not unless we move another suburb out and I have no choice. For the moment, I am going to aim for 160 and see how I feel after that.

No comments: