Friday 16 February 2007

How often should one clean a bike?

It's been raining a bit of late, so the bike has collected a fair covering of crap. I was putting it away the other night and I was amazed at just how filthy it had become - dirt and grease seemed to have been flicked over every part. I was too knackered to be bothered cleaning it, but just how clean should a bike be?

I guess a mountain bike that is parked in the shed can be left encrusted in an inch thick covering of mud without anyone batting an eyelid, but a road bike is a different proposition. A road bike is an Italian sports car compared to a mountain bike, and sports cars are generally kept clean and gleaming (and I do have a red bike after all).

At one point, I figured that once a week was enough - give it a soap and rinse on the lawn each weekend and that would be it. But I've been lazy lately and it must have at least 4 weeks worth of crud on it now. I don't really see the point in scraping off the mud after riding home in the rain to collect another sheen of mud the following day.

I am sure that some will beg to differ.

No comments: