Saturday 10 February 2007

Pizza variations

I tried something a bit different this week - a morocan lamb style pizza. We had some left over lamb chops and a jar of zaatar, so I chopped up the chops, rubbed the bits in lots of olive oil and zaatar and then made a lamb and goats cheese and spanish onion pizza.

Apart from putting on too much of the goaty stuff, it was very good. It would have been even better if I could figure out how to make a minty yoghurt sauce to dribble over the top before serving. One thing at a time I guess. I also should have added some pine nuts. I guess you always think of these things afterwards.

I did another one with a topping of sun dried tomatoes, which turned out to be a bit of a blunder. The tomatoes of course have been soaking in oil for months, and what happens to something that is covered in oil and then put into a hot oven? It fries like pork crackling. Except in this case, we ended up with a pizza covered in little black smears of tomato flavoured charcoal. Next time, I'll either chop them up and add them to the tomato base for extra flavour, or I'll add them a few minutes before the end.

The other thing that I tried doing was chopping up rosemary and adding it to the pizza base. I've added it to the tomato sauce before, but I've found it too overpowering. This time, it went into the bread. It seemed to be a bit more subtle. Either that, or I didn't use enough. Ah well, there is always next week. We still have about 8 kilos of flour in the flour bag, so it's not like I don't have a shortage of bases to work with.

No comments: