Over the course of half an hour or so, I decided this is what I want to cook this weekend. I had to promise my body that I would make these things - otherwise, it would have rebelled and where would I be then?
- Bread - will make the dough tonight and let it rest overnight
- Mussels - because they go so well with freshly baked bread
- Tarte tatin - already done. It should be ready to turn out by the time this blog entry is finished. More on the recipe in a minute
- Pasta - as in make my own pasta from scratch
- Slow cooked pork belly - it was fascinating to watch this bloke cook it up after he had just been on a cooking tour through........Iran. I didn't think pork belly would be that popular in Iran.
That should be enough energy to keep me going through a few more days of riding.
As for the tarte tatin - I was going to make it days ago. I read a great tip in the linked article whereby you peel and core the apples the day before and leave them uncovered in the fridge to dry out a bit. If the apples have dried slightly, the tarte is firmer.
So of course I peeled them on Monday, smothered them in a bit of lemon juice and promptly lost them up the back of the fridge. I found them again tonight and remembered to cook the tarte.
Speaking of tarte - time to tip it over and pig out.
Pig over, pig out.