Friday 23 February 2007

We're in a hospital and we're all going to die

I was going past the Emergency entrance at RPA the other day and stuck out the front were three large Fire appliances and a gaggle of police cars. They were all trying to get into the parking area out the front of Emergency - the spot where the ambulances pull up to throw people out. The parking area is not that big, and it is a shallow U, and the entrance is not terribly wide. I guess it is typical of the type of parking/entrance area that was built back in the days or horse and buggy.

The Fire appliances couldn't get in because there was a vehicle parked in the "no standing" zone near the entrance. It was, of all things, a hospital security van. I guess the security guards get to park wherever they like whilst they duck off for a fag (outside Emergency is also one of the favourite places for staff and patients to have a smoke). I counted at least a dozen firemen and half a dozen policemen milling around trying to sort things out. What concerned me a touch was that there was also a "hazardous material/decontamination" unit being towed around by one of the Fire appliances. It didn't bode well. I put my foot down and stopped rubber necking and got well clear of that mess.

Why they didn't just attach a cable to the security and and tow it out backwards with a Fire appliance is beyond me. They could have just left it parked in the middle of the road and let the stupid security guard explain where the scratches and dents came from.

I guess security guards need thick skulls in case they get punched in the course of their duties.

No comments: