Saturday 10 February 2007

The stupidity of other cyclists never ceases to amaze me

I saw a courier come very close to be cleaned up this week. I was sitting at some lights at an intersection of two one way streets. The courier came up the street from my left, but obviously wanted to go the wrong way up the street I had just come down, so he had to turn right - from the left hand lane - across three lanes of fast moving traffic.

Bozo thought he had a gap - there was a bus coming up the far left hand lane, and it wasn't moving so fast as it was going uphill, so he decided to bolt across the road in front of it. Just one problem - there was a taxi coming up alongside the bus at a much greater rate of knots.

I saw the taxi, then saw idiot make his move, and I was just stuck there able to do stuff all apart from hope they wouldn't collide. If I shouted "stop", the guy would have been hit by the bus. If he kept going, there was a good chance the taxi would get him. He was screwed either way.

Thankfully, he was faster off the line than I am, and he just managed to get in front of the taxi. by about the thickness of his back tyre. What a fucking moron. The guy didn't even bat an eyelid - he just kept on going up the road like nothing had happened, and like he hadn't pulled the stupidest stunt since Cain was a boy.

Couriers like him gather every Friday at a mall in town and have a few king browns and swap war stories. I am sure his mates will tell him what a cool dude he is. I just wanted to whack him around the head a few times with my pump handle. Dicks like that make drivers think we are all whackos, so we get no respect on the road.

It might have been better in the long run if I had yelled at him to stop and let the bus take care of the problem.

No comments: