Friday 16 February 2007

Chook Mk II

I had another go at the roast chook last week. I bought a number 17 at the markets - corn fed and all that, and tried the same recipe as last time, except without the pumpkin. I figure that there is no point in trying to cram 9 different vegetables into the oven for roasting. I'll just stick with a chook, one or two vegies and something green to go on the side.

I did parsnip again, except this time, I steamed it for 10 minutes, then chucked it in under the chook, and I made sure I basted it well and truly with oil from the chook.

I also turned the chook every 20 minutes or so, making sure that the top, bottom and sides were brown and crispy (and well basted). Overall, it probably had 15 minutes longer in the oven than the last one.

The chook was quite magnificent. The parsnips were also quite magnificent - so magnificent, that I ate most of them as I was carving the chook in the kitchen. They were quite brown - not crisp and chip like, but brown and well roasted, with their sugars well caramelised.

I impressed myself once again.

No comments: