Wednesday 31 October 2007

The Foxtel salesman from hell

Got a knock at the door last night - it was Foxtel going door to door flogging their wares.

I think I'd prefer a visit from the Mormons.

We made a conscious decisions years ago to not get pay TV. We already watch 2-3 hours per day of free to air, and I reckon that is about an hour too much on average. But then again, I sit in front of this stupid thing, typing and reading, for about the same each night. Which is worse?

The thing is, the Foxtel salesman was really good. Really, REALLY good. He almost had me convinced that we should sign up for it. If J and I hadn't made a pact all those years ago to avoid it, I probably would have signed up on the spot.

It's not that I want pay TV. We get all the viewing that we desire on the terrestrial channels. It's just that his spiel and his logic were mesmeric. Very hard to resist.

I am too polite to just slam the door in the face of someone that is making a living by wearing out their shoe leather and knocking on the doors of complete strangers, but that might be my downfall one day. I managed to fob him off by saying that we have a digital reciever, and we get perfectly good reception and are quite happy with it.

A close run thing indeed.

No comments: