Wednesday 29 August 2007

Where to next?

One problem with not having a job to ride to is finding interesting places to cycle to. Well, interesting and also places that don't involve sharing roads with mad taxi driver, semi-trailers and buses. The options start to get a bit thin after a while.

Todays choice of route was simple - I needed to find a place where I could buy brake light globes for the car.

I initially tried our local garage. I told the bloke behind the counter what I needed (a 21 watt single filament bulb) and he immediately asked me what I needed it for. "Brake?" Yes, brakes. He rooted around in his bulb collection and produced a 21 watt dual filament bulb.

I told him it was not the same as the one in the car.

"Impossible. All brake lights are dual filament".

Well, they are if your brake lights are also your tail lights. However, in the Disco, the tail lights and brake lights are separate creatures, so only one filament is required.

I didn't argue the point - I just bought the globe and went home.

Of course it didn't fit. The lugs were in the wrong position.

So I hopped on the bike and went back to get the right type of globe - this time taking the old one with me.

He took one look at it - "We no have this type".

Who does?

"Repco".

Where can I find the nearest Repco?

"Search me?"

So I now had a bike route to cover - visit every garage in the suburb looking for the right type of bulb. Of course the first place I went to had them, so from there, I just went out to Homebush again and pootered around for a while looking for a cafe that sold tasty pies.

I had less luck with the pies than the light globes.

No comments: