Tuesday 28 August 2007

How does Triple J lead to beer drinking?

I was listening to Triple J the other night and there was a discussion on Budhism and what the correct practices were. One bloke emailed from Japan to say that he had studied Budhism at school in Australia, where he was taught that it was all about eliminating desire, and then he went and stayed in a temple in Japan and found that the monks all loved smoking, beer and steak! He was shocked to the core, and didn't know what to make of it.

If you ask me, Richard Gere is to blame. He practices budhism the way he thinks it should be done, and then every idiot around the planet thinks that is the way it should be done and they follow blindly. Bloody celebreties and religion - they don't mix.

Anyway, I was driving along and I suddenly got this manic urge to drink Japanese beer. Just the mention of it made me want it really badly.

The thing is, I had no idea where to get it at 10pm at night, so I drove home and put my urge away for a few days.

I had some free time today, so I visited two Balmain bottle shops in the hope of scoring some.

The first place I tried was 60 Darling Street, mainly because it is a famous wine shop with a huge selection, and I thought they might have a good range of beers.

Well, I was wrong about that. I did find a single bottle of Asahi Super Dry, which I duly purchased for $4. The woman behind the counter looked at me really strangely - who buys a single 330ml bottle of beer?



I then tried a normal bottle shop up the road, and lo and behold, they had both Asahi and Sapporo in cans. I bought a single can of Sapporo, which cost me $7.90. The bloke in that bottle shop thought I was mad - paying that much for a tinnie, and he tried to convince me to switch to Tiger beer instead. However, he didn't understand my mad urge. If I wanted to drink a can of formaldehyde, I would have been happy with a Tiger. But I wanted Japanese beer.

The odd thing is that I have no urge to eat Japanese food with it. You'd think that I'd also be running around looking for sushi at the same time, but my stomach is having none of that. It just wants beer.

Personally, I blame cycling around in the hot sun for these silly urges. I'll have to do more of it.

No comments: