Monday 6 August 2007

Hoons

The latest flap to hit Sydney is street racing. Two lovely old ducks were cleaned up last week by some car racing fools on some major highway, and so the paper has been full of stories everyday about cars being confiscated, people being charged and today - another prang. This time, no one killed.

I just can't believe it's taken the cops this long to work out that racing on our freeways is pretty much endemic. I witnessed my first drag race years ago. I was driving down to Goulburn when these two cars in front of me slowed right down to about 30 in a 110 zone. I was mighty annoyed with them, but then they planted it and took off. Might have been a pair of BMW's. They shot through in a big hurry. By the time I had the tank back up to 110, they were gone.

Now this was not out in the sticks - this was about 20km from the CBD, and it was mid afternoon. Since then, I've seen quite a few more like it. It's not unusual to see a couple of arseholes weaving through the traffic as they race each other.

I guess it will all blow over in another week or two and we can move onto the next crisis.

No comments: