Friday 24 August 2007

Rice pudding

After watching The Cook and The Chef last night, I was all enthused today about making rice pudding with rhubarb.

Then I went to the shop and discovered that rhubarb costs $5 a bunch at the moment. I just bought the rice.

Then I got home and studied the recipe and found that I needed evaporated milk. Back to the supermarket I went.

Then I made it, stuck it in the oven and waited 2 hours.

Out came a milky solution with a bit of rice rattling around the bottom. It was milky rice, not rice pudding.

I ranted at The Cook for about five minutes for screwing up the recipe on their web site, then went off to do other things.

An hour later, I had to get the milk out of the fridge. I bought this carton of milk at a different supermarket than the one I am used to. In very small letters, almost too small to read, was the word "Light" written across the label.

The recipe required full cream milk. Sorry Maggie Beer, your recipe is probably fine. But fuck you Franklins for putting stupidly labeled milk on your shelves. When I was in your store, 80% of the customers were over 80 and they were all bent double over walking frames and were trying to read things through coke bottle glasses. If I can't tell the difference between and bottle of light and full cream milk, what hope have they?

No comments: