Friday 30 June 2006

Cheaper by the pound

I have noticed a subtle change at work recently in the bodily makeup of our employees. We're in the midst of a it of employee churn and it appears that someone has decided that we get better value for money if we employ really big people. Now I am no Elle McPherson when it comes to body shape, but I think that those that have left might have weighed about 20 kilos more than me whilst the newcomers would weigh about 50 kilos more. I am talking morbidly obese.

Which is interesting given the focus put on health and safety in the workplace these days. I would have thought that one way to reduce the risk of having an unhealthy workforce would be to avoid engaging those that are quite simply, monstrous.

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but I just got this nagging feeling whilst wandering through an office the other day that the newbies were all spending a lot of their time at the fried chicken shop.

Perhaps remuneration these days is worked out by the pound instead of by the hour. Instead of saying, "That person costs us $45 an hour" it's "That persons annual salary is $3,000 per pound".

I wonder how much extra we are going to spend this year on super-reinforced office chairs?

No comments: