Tuesday 1 May 2012

Cold, hot, wet - welcome to Autumn

The mornings are getting colder - not cold enough for leg warmers, full length gloves, shoe covers and an undershirt - but there is definitely a nip in the air.


No - not that sort of nip. I mean a wee chill that's just chilly enough to make the nads wish they were back in bed.

I kept the spray jacket on for the entire ride this morning - not that it was raining - just for warmth. It was about half a degree too cold to take it off, but about 5 degrees too warm to wear it for the entire distance. When I got to work, my gloves were saturated with the sweat that had run down my arms under the jacket.

As tempting as it is to remove the jacket, I'm always thinking of the "urban cool island" that is the Sydney CBD early in the morning. Due to the lack of sunlight in the canyons between the buildings, the last little bit of the ride is actually a lot colder than the start, even though the sun has been up for half an hour by the time I get to the office. If I take the jacket off 10 minutes into my ride, the sweat will freeze on my skin over the last two kilometres. It's annoying to find yourself sweating and shivering at the same time.

So I put up with the sweat - that's what showers are for.

No comments: