Thursday 29 July 2010

Harden up, you wimps

Normally, I can't stand reading anything by Elizabeth Farrelly in the SMH. The only reason I read her today is that she wrote about cycling. I won't comment on her article, but I will comment on comments like this:

All bikes do is clog an already over-clogged and dilapidated roads network.

Expecting people to cycle to work is ridiculously illogical. You can't ride to work up steep hills in 40 degree heat (or pelting rain or freezing cold depending on time of year). You also can't keep your suit pants + jacket + shirt + tie + dress shoes in a bag.

Expecting people to cycle simply isn't practical in Sydney. It might work in Amsterdam which is flat as a tack but Sydney isn't Amsterdam (even Paris and London are flat compared to Sydney).

Clover's insistence that we can use cycleways and the worst public transport system in the world (seriously, I have used Rome's transport system and it is better and the Italians are known to be hopeless at organising anything) is not a viable solution.

No more money should be wasted on this project. Our city streets should be opened up and more bus routes, train stations and trains should be built.

Gedoff | I h8 Alan Jones - July 29, 2010, 9:14AM


The bit I take issue with is this:

Expecting people to cycle to work is ridiculously illogical. You can't ride to work up steep hills in 40 degree heat (or pelting rain or freezing cold depending on time of year).
For fuck's sake, what a pathetic, wimpy, lame, lily-livered, craven, gutless, wussy thing to say. "It's too hot!" "It's too wet". Look at the female above cycling to work on a wet day - she's not afraid of a bit of water falling from the sky.

Fuck me. When I'm cycling to work surrounded by cars, I'm actually cycling through a sea of timorous, mousy, spineless girly-men who think the only purpose of the rear view mirror is to apply lipstick.

It's time I recycled a comment that I left at Tim Blair's last week:

Harden up, you girl. Hills aren’t a problem - grow a set of legs (and a set of gonads). And hot weather? Pfft, what’s a bit of sweat to a real man? And rain? Ooooh, does it make your hair gel run? Does your mascara go all funny?

Christ, the settlers and Anzacs who made this country great would be spinning in their graves if they could hear this wimpy, limp wristed piffle about how “tough it is to cycle in Sydney”.

Our awful Premier, KKK, has more testosterone than you blouses.

Take a tip from Chopper - go drink a big mug of harden the f*ck up.

4 comments:

cav said...

You'll do me BOAB!

RebeccaH said...

I have always liked bicycles (spent a huge amount of childhood time on one), but I have to take issue with some of the bikers around my little rural village. There's a lovely bike trail, 40 + miles long, not two miles away, and yet we must share our too-narrow, but heavily-trafficked rural roads with bikers. They are not biking to work (we aren't near enough to anything for them to realistically do so, unless one has a job inside our little rural village, or one of the other nearby little rural villages... not likely for the lycra-clad demographic).

Is there some particular insight you can give on this phenomenon? I hate to put it down to sheer arrogance, stubbornness, or even the mild boredom with the bike trail.

RebeccaH said...

Oh, by the way, American and all, so possibly a bit different from your Australian demo.

Hill said...

Great post you shared, you have now become top of my list. You were unknown to me before but have found your content to be fantastic.

So great work for informing us of the possibilities and following a certain path.

I really appreciate your hard work an giving us some information and inspiring others to follow.

Thanks so much.

I hope for more post in the future.



http://www.24x7direct.com.au/