Sunday 10 December 2006

Water restrictions - piffle

I tried a small experiment with grey water recently. Instead of putting the water from our washing machine down the drain, I stuck the hose out the window and let all the suds and rinsing water go onto a small patch of lawn. I figured if it killed that bit of lawn, we wouldn't care.

Instead, we now have a small jungle outside the laundry window, and the rest of the lawn is looking rather threadbare. I give the lawn a bit of a drink twice a week - not a soaking, just a drizzle. The blasted thing refuses to grow, there are bare patches everywhere and prickles have started to make an appearance.

So this week, I dumped the washing machine water into the trough and then bucketed it out onto other bits of the lawn.

Well bugger me - doing the laundry uses a lot of water! I lugged out bucket after bucket after bucket. One load of laundry produced more water than I put on the lawn in a week.

So from now on, so long as we are not using bleach or hot water, that water is going on the lawn. Yes, it's a bugger having to cart it out the back door, leaving a trail of slippery drips, but if it produces a decent lawn, I am all for it.

What I really need is a 15 metre hose that I can attach to the washing machine and just dump somewhere on the lawn - the water can just run out anywhere and seep around the place. I don't need to be too artful about it.

No comments: