Sunday 10 December 2006

The Lynwood Cafe

The Lynwood Cafe is situated in a little village about 60 kilometres from Canberra. Blowed if I can remember the name of the place at the moment - I just know that you drive down the Federal Highway and turn right and there you are.

It's a nice place to stop for tea and cake if you are driving down to Canberra on a weekend afternoon. It makes a very nice change from the Macca's at Marulan. It's a whitewashed old cottage with a good sized bit of lawn out the back, and people come from far and wide for the food. It's one of those marvelous places where you can roll up for lunch at not depart until about 6 hours later. I like it. Only problem is, I have to drive 250 kms to get there.

Ah well, we dropped in the other day for a refereshing coffee and cake. I had a lemon curd thing, which surprised me by coming in a water glass. It was really strong curd at the bottom, with mild creamy curd in the middle and proper double cream on top. It was great, and about 4 times what I needed. It was possibly the best curd thing I have ever had, but I left feeling like I had pigged out on way, way too much creamy stuff.

The coffee was good too - I needed it to cut through all the cream I was ingesting.

J had a macadamia tart of some sort, which was also very good, but a bit sweet for my liking. Again, a portion half the size of what we got would have been better. Still, can't complain about being stuffed full of good food.

There was only one downer about the place - there was a table of a dozen or so ladies from Canberra doing lunch near us, and some of them had those amazing penetrating voices that you can hear in the next paddock. They all struck me as public servants of one type or another, and one of them in particular just went on and on and on about some drunken night, and unfortunately she had the voice that would penetrate cement. I had to listen to her dribble away as I spooned my way through the delicious curd. Some people need to be denied eating rights at certain establishments. Why can't we bring back some sort of class system? Not one where you have to be upper class, but one where you have to show that you have some sort of class. She was just a silly piece of work.

Lynwood is not for the faint of wallet either - two cakes and two coffees set me back $31.50. The cakes were $12.50 each.

Ouch.

No comments: