Thursday 1 March 2007

Annoyance

A speed demon I have become. It's not often that someone passes me these days, and if they do, they look like a stork on wheels. And when they do pass me, it's usually going up some nasty hill, as I am a complete wheezer on the hills. On the flat, I am roadrunner.

Imagine my shock and annoyance this morning when some dweeb on a mountain bike did me in on the ANZAC bridge. He had tyres as fat as a haulpack, but he still managed to sail past me on the way up. I was gobsmacked. Then I looked at my speedo, and found that I was dawdling something fierce.

After a week off, I hit the paths again on Tuesday and boy, did I ride like the wind that day. It's amazing what a week of relaxation will do to your leg muscles. There was no pain. There was no puffing. Hills were not an obstacle. I conquered all.

And I paid for it this morning. I had overdone it by a wide margin. Still, it gave me a solid insight into that training mantra of winding down and taking it easy before a big event. Taking a week off might be even better, except that the hangover is nasty.

No comments: