Friday 20 March 2009

Taxpayers, bludgers and Macquarie Fields

Macquarie Fields became notorious last year after a lovely little riot amongst the slum dwellers in a portion of the suburb.

Interestingly enough, in my taxpayers vs bludgers table, Macquarie Fields comes out quite well - the postcode of 2564 comes in at 431 out of 605 postcodes - with 1 have the highest level of bludgers and 605 the lowest. In other words, it is in the top third of least bludging postcodes.

Mean taxable income isn't very high though - a bit over $38,000 per taxpayer. That would definitely place it at the lower end of the taxpaying scale. However, it's an odd quirk to find so many taxpayers in an area that is supposedly a dole bludging paradise.

It could be of course that 80% of the suburb is made up of struggling aspiring families, all working 2 or 3 low paying jobs to make ends meet, whilst the rest is full of the workshy, the bludgers, the losers and the criminal class - the parasites. It makes me mad that I have to fork out a packet to pay for these human dregs, but even after the taxman raids my pay packet, I still have enough left over for our family to have a comfortable existance.

How would you feel if you were working 2 jobs (met a bloke working in a petrol station today that was starting an 8.5 hour shift just after finishing his morning job) to make ends meet, were struggling really badly, and had to fork out your very hard earned cash to keep these idlers in plasma TV's, Nike shoes and VB.

I'd be flipping ropable.

PS - my apologies to Norfolk Islanders for the last post. I had forgotten about your special arrangements.

1 comment:

1735099 said...

I must be fortunate - the only job I've ever done that I didn't entirely enjoy was soldiering. There were aspects that were tolerable, but on the whole it was a pain in the arse.
This may have something to do with the fact that there was no choice.
All the other jobs I've done - picking tobacco, delivering mail, working on the factory floor (making nails), teaching, managing programs for disabled kids, bush consultancy, etc all were/are intrinsically enjoyable one way or another.
This being the case, I never really gave a stuff about what was done with my taxpayer dollars.
It was enough to be able to get up in the morning, do a day's graft, and at the end of the day be paid for it. There are plenty who through no fault of their own, can't do this.
To accept that the government of your country believed that it was OK to conscript you to fight a crazy ideological war, and be abused when you returned home puts the conscription of wealth in a novel perspective.
Consequently, I don't have a problem with social welfare.