Wednesday 19 December 2007

More commuting styles

A bike rather different to mine. Somewhat older, fitted with mudflaps and a kick stand of all things. The last time I had a stand on a bike, it was 1984. Same with mudflaps. Real men get a wet back.



I usually don't see a lot of commuters wearing cycling shoes with cleats - the most common thing is trainers or even sandals with the old style open pedal. I can't use a pedal without cleats anymore - it feels too wierd. Like trying to drive a left hand drive car - you only do it if absolutely necessary.

Some tell me that I am strange for wearing lycra for the trip to work. I discovered my answer on the trip home tonight - I am a creature of habit. I like to wear and use the same kit regardless of the distance I am riding, be it 8 km or 80. I don't wear one thing for short trips and something else for longer ones - I just put on the standard stuff and that's it. I don't want to have one set of shorts for commuting and another for longer weekend rides. That just messes with my head.

No comments: