Saturday 30 September 2006

Filthy littering bastards

If there is one job I hate, it's mowing the verge. Mainly because I think that there is more lawn out there on the verge than in my backyard. And I am not about to go and sit on the verge in my comfy yard chair and read the paper. I will just suffer in my pokey little yard.

I have found though that the verge needs to be mowed more regularly than the yard for the simple reason that the longer the grass, the more litter it attracts. Call it the broken windows theory of lawn management.

If I let the grass grow enough to conceal a cigarette packet, people will ditch cigarette packets in the grass. If it gets long enough to conceal a beer bottle, it fills up with bottles. I am sure that if I let it get tall enough, people will start dumping cars on my verge.

Therefore, I have to keep the bloody stuff as trimmed as a pool table. I can see why the wogs just rip the grass out and concrete over everything. It's a lot easier than picking up after all the grots in the neighbourhood and then mowing the lawn.

I wonder if I will be able to mine the verge?

Not as in mine it for gold, but plant mines.

No comments: